Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Week 6 - Bamboo shoots



Click the above images to view larger

After the green tea red bean cake thing last week, I went with something that can't miss. I bought bamboo shoots. Although they sell canned bamboo shoots in the super market and they are often in Chinese take out, the bamboo shoots at the Asian market were fresh and whole. The Asian market has bins with items like tofu in water, bamboo shoots in water and cuddle fish. You can use a slotted spoon to scoop them out and put them into bags. They also sell bamboo shoots in the refrigerated aisle.

I sliced the bamboo shoots and stir fried them in my wok with a whole bunch of veggies and tofu. The verdict: It was good of course and the flavor of bamboo shoots is very unique. The bamboo shoots did have a much stronger flavor than I expected. This is probably because they were fresh and because I probably sliced them a little thicker than I've had them before. If you get a chance, try buying them fresh. They're cheaper than the canned stuff and really delicious.

BTW, as a side note, if anyone knows why all of the carrots in the Asian market are absolutely enormous, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment