Thursday, January 8, 2009

A few words about the Asian market

The Asian market is a pretty amazing and scary place. Almost all of the foods are different, even the foods that you may know. Chickens and shrimp still have their heads on them. Many of the fish are still alive and swimming around in tanks. Fruit is pickled. A lot of things look interesting, but the label is entirely in Chinese so you can never really be sure until you buy it. Then there are the things that you know what they are, like bull pizzle (penis) and chicken intestines with quail eggs cracked on top for some reason. These are things that most Americans would find repulsive and would never be found in you average grocery store.

The one thing that I immediately noticed about the Asian market are the prices. Everything is far cheaper! Tofu, while $2.50/lb at the grocery store costs $1.29/lb at the Asian market and even less if I scooped it out of the large barrels they have in there. I saw 2 lb bags of frozen shrimp selling for $6. At the grocery store these same bags sell for about $19. Almost everything is cheaper. Hopefully I will inspire more people to visit their local Asian market. If anyone has any ideas for me or wants to share their knowledge of the Asian market with me, feel free to send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment