Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Week 2 - Lotus Root




Click on the above images to view larger.

I decided to get a little more adventuresome this week. I decided to purchase a lotus root. The lotus root is actually a rhizome which is a horizontal stem that is often underground. This starchy veggie is one of the coolest types of produce visually. It contains lots of hollow tubes inside that look a little like worm holes. When you slice it, it looks kind of like a wagon wheel. Immature lotus roots can be eaten raw with a little soy sauce I've been told. I decided to cook mine.

After peeling and slicing, I lightly fried them with minced ginger and minced garlic in peanut oil. Then I added scallions and a splash of soy sauce. Once the onions cooked a little I added hot pepper flakes, sesame seeds and sesame oil. The smell in my kitchen was amazing. I got the recipe from this web site here. Although my photography skills aren't all that good, mine actually looked like the picture on the site.

The verdict: It was really good. The flavors all melded together perfectly. The lotus root wasn't a strong flavor, but it matched perfectly with the sesame oil, ginger, garlic and onions. It also had the perfect amount of heat. I will definitely make this dish again.

No comments:

Post a Comment