Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Week 3 - Udon



Click on the above images to view larger


I have a bad cold this week and I'm feeling kind of crumby, so I decided to make some hot udon soup. Udon noodles are a thick wheat noodle popular in Japan. There were a number of different udon soup seasoning packets, but I decided to go with the traditional shrimp. Scallions are also traditional and is referred to as kake udon. The Japanese put a variety of things in the soup like tempora and fish cakes. The broth in eastern Japan is made with dark soy sauce and is darker than the broth in westerern Japan which is made with light soy sauce. The soup I made was more of a western udon soup. I added chopped scallions and a bunch of shrimp. The verdict: It was very soothing and delicious for a sick person on a very cold January day.

No comments:

Post a Comment